Search This Blog

Monday, 7 September 2015

Change of standards

G'day.

It's been a long time since the last post!

I've finally finished removing the woodgrain off the CW's and will start soon on the GSV's.







A lot of hard thought and a lot of soul searching has happened over the last 6 or so months re Murrum as a P87 layout; the inability to find a suitable 8-spoke wheel centre as well as the steam loco driver question has lead me to the following sad, inevitable decision.

I've made the decision to abandon the quest for P87 standards.  

Yes, I'd love to do it, but it's too early and too soon in Australia, especially with the steam loco driver issue.

I also don't have the time, funds and equipment (and skills!) to justify the R&D and tooling at my end, as well as having the pressures of a young family.

I'm keeping the P87 track gauges and wheelsets...one day!

This was probably the clincher:

https://liverpoolrange.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/regrettable-change/

If Ian and Andrew couldn't make it work with RTR diesels with their considerable modelling skills and dedication, then I as a mediocre modeller had no chance.

I have downloaded Templot to learn how to draw track, I will use this in conjunction with 3rd plan-it which will be used for general track planning and layout visualisation.  The fair dinkum/hardcore trackbuilding bit will be done onto Templot printout.

I'm inspired by Linton's excellent work in Templot on Stonequarry Creek.

Interoperability for visitor rollingstock is assured using 00-SF track standards, it's a social hobby too, it's no fun having a lonely hobby.

The Trackwork manual will be the next essential purchase!

Anyway, another update coming up not in the too distant future on rollingstock and other projects.

That's all for now,

Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment